AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Ioannou puts Cyprus on the map

OSAKA, Japan, Aug 30 (Reuters) - While Donald Thomas grabbed the headlines with his world title-winning high jump performance, Kyriakos Ioannou was quietly putting his country on the map.

The Cypriot's bronze medal performance at the Nagai stadium on Wednesday night was a first world athletics championships medal for Cyprus.

"It is the first medal ever for my country in athletics. My dream has come true," Ioannou told reporters.

"In Cyprus, football is still the number one sport. Tennis has become very popular since Marcos Bagdhatis reached the final at the Australian Open in 2006.

"I cannot be compared to him," the 23-year-old said.

"But this is a big success for me and my country. The medal is unexpected and shows that anyone can do something special in sport."

No comments: