AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

UN SG encourages Cyprus dialogue

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon revealed today he had a telephone conversation on Friday with Turkish-Cypriot leader Mehmet Ali Talat.

Replying to a question during a press conference, SG said ''I am continuing to encourage the two leaders of the two communities to engage in dialogue and this is what I will continue to do''.

''We are faced with so many challenges around the world, including of course the situation in Cyprus'', he noted. Ban said that UN and he as Secretary General have been in contact with many leaders around the world.

“I have been speaking over the phone and meeting them in person at least three - four times, sometimes five or six times” aiming to address the various challenges, he said adding that he has not always announced all these contacts with world leaders.

“That’s because some journalists have told me that I am a faceless person but even behind the scenes you should know that I have been very active'', he added.

Regarding the Cyprus question, Ban said ''I have had a good talk again with one of the two parties of the Cyprus question, Mr. Talat, last Friday I think and I am continuing to encourage the two leaders of the two communities to engage in a dialogue and this is what I will continue to do''.

No comments: